Instrumental Audition Repertoire:
- First movement of the Mozart Concerto in G major
- A second contrasting piece or movement of the applicant’s choice (not to exceed 10 minutes)
- Orchestral Excerpts – Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé (176 through the second bar of 179), Debussy: Prélude à l’après-midi du’un faune (beginning through rehearsal 3), Beethoven: Leonore Overture No 3 (measures 328-360), Mendelssohn: Scherzo (2 measures before P through the end), and one piccolo excerpt of the applicant’s choice.
- Mozart, “Oboe Concerto,” exposition
- Ravel, “Tombeau de Couperin,” mvt.1 Prelude beginning to figure 2 and figure 8 to 9
- Brahms, “Violin Concerto,” mvt 2. adagio beginning to measure 32
- Include standard orchestral excerpts for clarinet
- recordings of solo or chamber music may also be included
- Please limit the recording to no more than 10 minutes, and strive to include only your best playing.
- Mahler I, movement III solo
- Mozart Concerto, Exposition
- Mozart, Marriage of Figaro Overture, mm. 139-171
- Ravel, Bolero
- Rimsky Korsakov, Scheherazade mvt. II solo and cadenzas
Submit a recording of 3-5 contrasting works that you feel to be representative of your playing. These may include solos, excerpts, live performances with orchestra or other ensemble, etc. As the Festival’s emphasis is primarily orchestral, bear in mind that an applicant’s facility, primarily on C trumpet, and optionally with Bb and Eb/D, are most helpful in determining suitability for selection (i.e. piccolo trumpet excerpts are not required).
- 3 xylophone excerpts
- 3 snare drum excerpts
- 2 glockenspiel excerpts
- 3 timpani excerpts
- 1 Bach marimba solo
- 1st page of Symphonie Fantastique, Berlioz
- Cadenza and Fugue, Young Person’s Guide, Britten
- 2 Contrasting Solos, may include contemporary work.
- MOZART: Concerto No. 3, 4, or 5 – 1st movement, exposition
- BRAHMS: Symphony No. 2 – 1st movement, measures 114-155
- MOZART: Symphony No. 39 – 2nd movement, measures 1-27 without repeats
- SCHUMANN: Symphony 2 – Scherzo, beginning to measure 54
- J. S. BACH: Any Suite – 1st movement without repeats
- MENDELSSOHN: A Midsummer Night’s Dream – Scherzo, measures 49-93
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 5 – 2nd movement, measures 1-10; 49-59; 98-106
Violoncello: (from Tchaikovsky 6)
- STANDARD REPERTOIRE CONCERTO – 1st movement, exposition.
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 5 – 3rd movement, measures 1-18; 44-72; pickup to m.141 to 176 (trio section).
- R. STRAUSS: Ein Heldenleben, rehearsal #9 -2 measures before rehearsal #11.
- MOZART: Symphony No. 35 – 4th movement, measures 134-181
Please submit a link to a YouTube video, or video hosted on a similar site, of a recent rehearsal (approximately 5 minutes) and performance (approximately 5 minutes) totaling no more than 10 minutes. Complete works are not necessary. Alternatively, applicants may submit via postal mail a high-quality North American-format DVD, CD-ROM or VHS tape labelled with name, contact information, and repertoire index.
Please also submit a complete resume and list of repertoire studied and list of repertoire performed.
The Assistant Conductor and Conducting Apprentice will be expected to provide his or her own scores to all orchestral and conducted chamber music at the Music Festival.